My daughter Nancy is a talented, discerning film student, attending university. Studying film. what the hell... I do not think that could be a "real" major.. i am jealous er, envious, a more polite word. I think to my self, um... i am really good at watching movie's, and in a time machine i could toss aside social work and helping people for the art of film. Film Major! Masters in Film! so cool, But back to reality and 2012!
Nancy is blogging about her 2012 movie challenge. 365 movies in one year. can she do it? the challenge, can i do it?!?! I will try...
The first film of my 2012 was tom cruise in Mission Impossible 4. Macdaddy's choice.
I instantly remembered the opening of the TV show,,, dun dun. dun dun dun dundun.. beebabo beedaboo... dah dah! (true confessions, i didn't "get" that show back then. Perhaps i was too young!
This Mission Movie #4 was... well, hem, haw... It was fun. I too was not to thrilled to see toms man boobs. (nancy reminded me of them in her blogg). while watching in the post Christmas theater I felt proud that i did not heckle the screen by shouting "hey Tom, get a manzeer, or broh. " The people behind us shifted in their chairs when i whispered my comment to Nancy and Mac about his silky nasty shirt. Tom should not wear that shirt, with those boobs, Period!
I still love Tom Cruise in spite of him self. The movie was fast paced and slow at the same time. It was like a canned movie. Same old same old. I think in the next movie the bomb should actually drop and then Tom will have to save the world in the aftermath (with nuclear fall out and THE ROAD... and book of Eli, and district 9). All, in all the movie was exactly what i expected. Mission impossible to surprise Lydia #4.
Next day new movie:
Matt Damion in We Bought a Zoo
I laughed, I cried...
I am a sucker for "biased on a true story" films. And I am a sucker for Matt Damon (move over Sara Silverman, I loved him first)
Long haired, perfectly sloppy matt Damion plays a loving Widower Dad who will do anything to see his kids smile, including moving away from the horrible memories and mean schools to the country side, to a new home that happens to be a Zoo. (breath)
This kids were charming new comers and believable. The Zoo cast was quirky and somewhat what believable. The sound track Perfect for me.
Cat Stevens, neil young on the jukebox. The bar on the Zoo campus was the kind of joint id love to be a regular at. Like a New paltz, wood stock hang out with cool down to earth miss fits. I could see my self playing joni Mitchel and RLJ and dancing drinking beer with Zoo folks.
It was a family film, so i had to give some leeway to the predictable-ness. But all in all a feel so bad that you end up feeling good movie.
I can't wait t go to California to visit that Zoo.
George Clooney, The Decedents (again)
I took nancy to the BMFI for popcorn and a movie. We chose, the Descendents. My second time. I warned nancy, that it is sad. Good but, sad. Nancy does not like sick mothers, or worse dying mothers in films, for some reason.
a 4 star movie for the second time... hum, It is good. very good. A well put together story set in Hawaii, with real issues and real characters.
Several times, i thought to my self; 'I do not want to be in a coma'. My family should not have to deal with that nightmare. What a drag! The "women in coma", was amazing, so sad and real and scary and horrible. The dad and kids came together nicely and dealt as best as they could. I loved it how people spoke to the person who was brain dead. Nice chatting, angry words, venting... all to a basically dead person. That seemed real. the yucky sad real that Oscars are made of.
Was this movie Epic, No... was it very good, yes, especially for 2011 where the pickings were slim. Hawaii was cool, and a cultural i am not familiar with so that was a bonus.
side note. i love the salt and pepper George hottie!
No comments:
Post a Comment