2012 Oscar
nominations for Best Picture
The Artist
I loved this movie. It was not on my top list to see, because it was listed as a silent film. Who wants to sit through that? In the end it was pure joy and filled with feelings and emotions that were loud and clear. I believe that it has a big chance to be the winner this year.
The Descendants
Thomas Langmann, Producer
The first time i saw it alone, i thought... "well its was good and maybe even great'. It was honest and tough at times. but what won me over was the relationships portrayed honestly and sometime with humor. Life is complicated. It is sort of like when you want to crack up while the Ernest priest/minister is saying a heart felt prayer over your brother... it is amazing but you kind of need to let some of the laugh out too.
My favorites part was when the husband (george c) told his wife that their daughter was here to see her and she should "be nice!!"... she was in a coma for Gods sake.
when i Saw it for the second time with Nancy... liked it 2nd time too
Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close
Jim Burke, Alexander Payne and Jim Taylor, Producers
I saw it yesterday. I had to drive out of my town because it was not playing in many time slots during the day. I was not looking forward to the film because the lack of positive hype. i heard that is was all about 911 and sad and slow. Sooo to my surprise, i found a charming, complexly simple (an oxymoron), film about a child who was different... dealing with 'the worst day". my son charlie is different too... and on top of that Atypical in his diagnosis, just like the lead boy in the film. it would be extremely challenging to capture all of charlie's uniqueness in an acting role. This kid did a great job... was it totally great.. i just wish they could have had an actual kid with mild aspbergers play that role... but that is propitious. I cried a few times because of the boy, his mom and their issues almost as much as with the 911 horrifying sadness.
I fell in love with the film when we met the 'Renter'. He stole the show and is nominated for best supporting actor. (a good year for actors with no audible voice)
The Help, Scott Rudin, Producer
By now most people i know have watched the help. I saw it in the theater and in my bedroom with macdaddy and nancy It was wonderful... great and mainstream. Thank GOD our nation has moved forward leaps and bounds from segregated bathrooms and racism. How heartbreaking that is each time i see it on the big screen. I adored the nanny relationship with the little girl.. "you is smart. you is kind, you is important". I tear up each time is say it and think about it. i believe that the world would be a better place if we all treated people the way we would want to be treated. The Help personified this in many ways.. i loved the other supporting role nominee Jessica Chastain... her character was so loving and sad and heartwarming in the end.
The Help made me hunger for fried chicken and weary of any kind of dark pie, and happy for times that are a changin.
Hugo Brunson Green, Chris Columbus and Michael Barnathan, Producers
This movie trailer almost prevented me from seeing the movie. I thought it was a children's movie similar to that train movie or the half animated, half real looking movie schrooge from the Christmas carol. I do not care for realistic animated humans in film.
i was not even drawn by the critic buzz.
At first (maybe the first 10 min) i believed my own skepticism...i wondered what the hell i was doing in this odd film. BUT, then POW! I was thinking that this was the best movie of the year.
It was long,,,i like that...ethereal with developing plot... i like that too. Sasha barron cohen in a quarky role...love!
it was filmed in such a unique dream like style that i found my self wondering why there was not movie buzz around this flick... no one in my circle was talking about HUGO... well until it was nominated for a million Oscars this year. ( i have to get out more)
the acting, cinematography, story and moral of the story are all spot on wonderful!
GO HUGO!!!
Midnight in Paris Graham King and Martin Scorsese, Producers
How can I resist Woody Allen. I can not! Owen Wilson was great but i wish woody could have had his own time machine so he could play him self. Owen willson was good enough.
the film was genius.. i loved it so much~~! where to begin.. in Paris, yes! the casting was fantastic with Zelda Fitzgerald in the lead.
Owens in law's or future in laws were priceless... I adored this movie. thank god Woody's still got it!
Moneyball
Letty Aronson and Stephen Tenenbaum, Producers
Who knew i could like a baseball movie. I had know idea that so much went into this game, er sport... My husband has been trying to tell me this information for years.
I liked the cast of characters... Brad pit is still such a hottie! i really enjoyed the casting of the daughter in the film. she was not typical and her differences (is that a word) made her quit charming. Her song was great... her step dad was perfect in his smug, too geeky, aloof, coolness...
I love the underdog taking a risk that pays off... I laughed, i cried.. i learns about baseball. Was that a true story??
The Tree of Life
Michael De Luca, Rachael Horovitz and Brad Pitt, Producers
Um what the hell was that movie... I need the explanation files (a quip my dad said after watching the TV show the X-files).
Nancy and I saw it after hearing rave reviews. The Bryn Mawr film institute does have the best popcorn remember. So it was not a total loss. And it was nominated for best picture, so i can smugly announce that I did see it at an art house movie theater... ha ha.
when we were leaving in the end.. we were miffed, and left pondering 'what just happened'. I man actually asked me and Nancy to stop talking and seeking an explanation about it because he was just about to see it... YIKES!
OK maybe it was the most cinematographic beautiful film ever made, I'll give ya that. But, What the hell?
I felt like the confused dog; cocking one ear after the next to try to gain perspective. I must see again to get it, I guess.
My final thought was The Tree Of Life was over indulgent.
War Horse
Sarah Green, Bill Pohlad, Dede Gardner and Grant Hill, Producers
Before i saw War Horse I predicted 'best movie of the year' . The trailer spoke to me.. I wanted to see this film and knew it had to be fantastic.
I think it was made to be good, did not take any real risks... (george clooney was not yelling at his wife in a coma). it was great... it had to be. i had no idea that horses were as friendly and caring as dogs.. they are not, really. But.. war is HELL!
was it the best movie of the year... not really. will our parents and nice aunts love it and talk about how it was the best movie, probably, but they probably did not see or 'get' HuGo.
No comments:
Post a Comment